The J. D. McCarty Center
was founded in 1946, by a veterans group called the
40 et 8 of Oklahoma. The 40 et 8 was an honor society
within the American Legion.
When the McCarty Center
first opened its doors to patients we only treated
one diagnosis – cerebral palsy. Today, we have treated
more than 100 different diagnoses in the developmental
disability category. Kids come to us for treatment from
all over the state of Oklahoma.
Children referred to the hospital are
evaluated and treated by a team of pediatricians, pediatric
specialists, registered nurses and LPNs, direct care
specialists, physical, occupational, speech and language
therapists, a dietitian, a clinical psychologist and
psychology clinicians and social workers who focus on
getting a child to their highest level of functionality
In October 2004, the McCarty Center
moved into a new, custom built, state-of-the-art pediatric
rehab hospital facility. Located on an 80-acre campus on
the east side of Norman, this facility provides both
inpatient and outpatient care. We have a 36 bed inpatient
In 1946, no one could have known how
many children would pass through the McCarty Center doors,
but generations of Oklahomans with developmental
disabilities owe a debt of gratitude to the founders,
legislators, Cerebral Palsy Commissioners, donors,
staff and volunteers who have helped in the quest
for more functional and independent lives. For
almost 70 years after the its’ founding, the J. D.
McCarty Center continues to turn stumbling blocks
into building blocks for children with developmental
disabilities in Oklahoma.